7.29.2005

Rick "The Human Target" Springfield

Karaoke fast approaches and the Barrelhouse crew hasn't settled on a song yet. We're running out of time and it's only under such pressure that great ideas are born, so I submit to my fellow rockers that we throw down with Jessie's Girl by Rick "Star of the Short Lived 'Human Target' TV Series" Springfield. It's easy to sing. Everyone knows the words. And it was used to great effect in Boogie Nights. That seen where Alfred Molina is off his can on coke, dancing around that gaudy LA living room in a half open bathrobe. Cinematic genius.

In other Jessie's Girl news, I went to Panama City, FL on spring break once. There was this huge club there, four floors of wall to wall drunken assholes, of which i was one most nights of my stay. The bottom floor was the techno-buy-ecstasy room. The middle floor was the hip hop, white girls cutting it up room. On the top floor there was a cover band that played every night. They were called rockbox (one word). And every night, around one am, they'd play jessie's girl. I made sure I caught it, every night. You'd be surprised how many people did the same. There's something about the song that has draw. Maybe it's that we all remember Rick smashing the mirror in the video. That was hot.

3 comments:

Mike Ingram said...

I think I've been to that place in Panama City. Ah, college spring break. Good times.

Joe said...

It was both. I think Jessie's Girl was second. I can't remember right now.

Kistulentz said...

Rick Springfield is HUGELY underrated...Working Class Dog is, as they say in the trades, all killer and no filler. Love is Alright, Tonite (misspellings are Rick's sadly) and I've Done Everything for You are great in their own right, but sadly, they will always be to Jessie's Girl what Good Girls Don't is to My Sharona.