11.01.2005

The DeLuise Update

A few months back I wrote a post about how much fun it can be to sign your friends up for random email newsletters. And its a gift that keeps on giving. Witness today's fascinating update from Dom DeLuise, forwarded by my friend Dave, who reports that DeLuise sends weekly email updates, all of them about absolutely nothing.

With apologies to Gwydion, who frequently writes about soup on his blog, this one is a really long email about soup.

I've often said that if I had a gajillion dollars, I'd sit around the house all day in my underwear and make soup. Apparently DeLuise is doing just that.

Hi Everyone,

I hope you had a safe and fun Halloween. Our California weather is cool, but still warm enough for hours of trick or treating, so the kids in our neighborhood came out in droves. It's always fun to see to see them all -- even if we don't recognize most of them anymore. When my sons were small we had a good chance at guessing who was at the door, but now most of those kids are parents like my own sons. Time does fly.

This month my lovely wife, Carol, and I will be celebrating our 40th anniversary. We've survived California earthquakes, three children and Hollywood, so the odds are it's going to work!

One of our favorite things to eat in this house is soup…whether it's for lunch or before dinner…soup is always so satisfying. One sure way to get Carol to the table quickly is to let her know there is soup involved. This month I'm sending you all one of my favorite soup recipes. It should help take the chill out of fall. Everyone loves Mushroom Soup, and I'm sure you'll love this very traditional recipe.
Adding the Sherry, gives it just the right flavor, so make sure you have some on hand…this recipe isn't the same without it.


Dom's Cream of Mushroom Soup


4 tablespoons olive oil

4 celery stalks, sliced
4 shallots, chopped
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
10 cups of sliced mushrooms, (3 cups each; shitake, crimini and
oyster)
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup dry Sherry
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup flour
5 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup half and half
salt & pepper to taste
chopped parsley

In a large pot over medium heat the olive oil. Add celery, shallots, onion, carrot and garlic and sauté until onion is translucent. Add the mushrooms and sauté until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add wine and Sherry. Boil until liquid is reduced to a glaze, about 5 minutes.

Add 2 tablespoons of butter, 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup flour in a bowl and whisk until a paste forms. Add flour mixture to mushroom mixture in the pot and stir until mixture melts. Gradually mix in the chicken broth. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring often. Stir in half and half and salt and pepper to taste.

With a wand blender, puree soup until smooth. Ladle into soup bowls, sprinkle with parsley and serve.

Serves 8 to 10



If you like this soup a little creamier…you can increase the half and half, or you can actually use cream. I use the half and half to keep the calories and fat down, but it works beautifully with good old-fashioned cream if you are young and not even thinking about your arteries yet! Either way, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

This soup is also a very nice way to start off your Thanksgiving dinner.

Make it early in the month; so you've had a rehearsal with the recipe, and then by the time Thanksgiving rolls around, you make it in a jiffy. While the turkey is "setting" you can all start Thanksgiving dinner with a lovely bowl of hot soup.

Because it's Thanksgiving, I'm going to be posting a special recipe as the Recipe of the Month on my website…so be sure to visit www.domdeluise.com and get that recipe too, especially if you like pumpkin and pecans. In addition to all the recipes for past months that are posted on my website, you can also visit www.onthehouse.com and get all the recipes I do on the radio on "On the House with the Carey Brothers" Saturday mornings. The show has a call in session, and I'd love to chat with you, so tune in and give me a call sometime.

Not just on Thanksgiving, but every day, remember how much we have to be thankful for. God bless you all, and have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Ciao,

Dom

1 comment:

Mike Ingram said...

I agree with Lesley. Nothing's worth eating at thanksgiving that can't either a) be doused in cranberry sauce, or b) is in pie form.

I can't read that letter from Dom Deluise without picturing Dom and Burt Reynolds making soup and giggling a lot.